MaArte Theatre Collective
MaArte Theatre Collective
Summer New Play Festival: Myths Unspoken
“Myths Unspoken” is curated and directed by Yari Cervas, Baby Bagos Hood and Michaela Subido. Produced by MaArte Theatre Collective. Be sure to look out for the rest of our upcoming programming, too!
- Fall Play Reading Series curated by Yari Cervas & Michaela Subido
Art on Third, Chula Vista
This fall comes MaArte’s monthly play reading series with work by Filipino playwrights, new and old, from Dog Eaters to Diktador.
- Your Best American Girl by Ciarlene Coleman. Directed by Yari Cervas.
International New Zealand and Adelaide (Australia) Fringe Festivals 2020
A one-woman music and dance spectacle grappling with what it takes for a mixed-race military kid to become the ideal American girl.
Why “maarte”? “Maarte,” translated literally from Tagalog, means “artistic” or “creative.” However, the word has become commonly used to instead to refer to a young woman as “high-maintenance,” “picky,” or “pretentious.” In other words, “maarte” means “a diva”. We have chosen to reclaim and redefine this word. To us, it means bold. It means audacious. It means filled with the power of creativity. We are selective and we know exactly what we want – the fair and honest representation of the fullness of the Filipino-American experience – and we’re out to get it.
May 19th, 2019: Our summer plans are officially kicking off! Rehearsals begin TOMORROW, so we’re opening up our campaign to fund for production. Because our organizers are all volunteers, all money donated goes directly into production costs, including:
- artist compensation (We are offering stipends to the designers, stage managers, and all hired actors for our summer productions.)
- venue rental fees (MaArte is a vagabond theatre organization, so we reserve spaces separately for each event.)
- production fees (We plan on putting on even bigger shows this year, and we are going to invest in sets, props, projection screens, and whatever else we need to create ambitious theatre!)
Our campaign lasts until July, and we receive checks from One Mission on a monthly basis. We appreciate your continued support!
The MaArte Theatre Collective Presents
The FLIP Side: A Night of FOB-ulous Theatre
Ocean Beach Playhouse
4944 Newport Ave D, San Diego, CA 92107
Available at https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3395325
*Please note, all ticket purchases are subject to processing fees.
Directed by Meg Stoll Tron
“High Stakes” by Ruth Pe Palileo
Directed by Ciarlene Coleman